Sometimes finding the perfect meal to please the family can be a a difficult task. It can be really hard to do when you’re limited to supplies and resources while camping! If you want to mix it up, use the skillet and campfire/grill, and blow their tastebuds away, try this Cheesy Mexican Quinoa Skillet meal! Not only is it flavorful and filling, its healthy and leaves you with very few dishes to wash! See the recipe below!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup chopped asparagus
1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
1 and 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1 cup hot water
1 cup cooked black beans
1/2 cup corn kernels
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Salt to taste
1 lime, juiced
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, red bell pepper and asparagus; cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Stir in quinoa, tomatoes and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add in hot water, black beans, corn kernels, half of the cilantro leaves, chili powder, black pepper and salt. Bring it to boil, cover and let it simmer over the lowest heat until quinoa is cooked, about 20 minutes.
4. Stir in lime juice and shredded mozzarella, cover and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the cheese melts.
5. Top with the remained cilantro and serve immediately.